1804 - 2020
Providence Knob Baptist Church was constituted the last Saturday in September 1804. Elders John Hightower and John Martin were the first ministers, and Jesse Boyce was the first deacon.. Thus began the historical odyssey of the oldest church in the Warren Association of Baptists. There is no record of the location of the church for the first ten years. Probably because the meetings took place in private homes. The membership had grown from nine in 1804 to twenty-six in 1814. A Providence meeting house was built approximately a couple of miles over the knob from the present site in 1814. By the year 1834, the membership had grown to 263. The third meeting place was located not far from the second on a site right off the intersection presently known as Browning Road and Fuqua Road. That building was completed in 1834. David L. Mansfield became the eighth pastor of Providence in 1828, and also led in the constitution of Clear Fork Baptist in 1833, and served both churches as pastor until his death in 1849.